Have You Been Charged With Sexual Assault?
If you have been accused or charged with sexual assault, it is a wise idea to contact Gallian Firm LLC as soon as you can. Sexual assault accusations happen to more people than you might think. While sometimes the accusations might be warranted, there are plenty of times where the sexual assault allegation is completely false. It is extremely important to hire a sexual assault lawyer as quickly as possible.
An individual’s motive to lie to the police is never the same. However, some of the common, reoccurring reasons are:
- divorce proceedings;
- a bad break up;
- an affair;
- regret or second-guessing a consensual sexual encounter;
- pressure from friends; or
- social pressure
At Gallian Firm, we understand the pressure and stress that comes from an allegation of sexual assault. Prison, sex offender registration, or the stigma of the allegation alone would scare anyone. Contact us for a free consultation and case review today.
What Are Sexual Assault Crimes In Texas?
At Gallian Firm, I talk a lot about what to do when detectives or law enforcement personnel calls. I do that because people often over-estimate their ability to “handle the situation” in a sexual assault investigation. Meaning, people always think they will be able to talk their way out of it. Most offenses that you are arrested for in the State of Texas occur in front of a police officer.
However, some offenses – sexual assault, indecency with a child, possession of child pornography, etc. – often require a detective to investigate the case over weeks or months before making an arrest. The single best advice I can give, is call my firm immediately when a Detective calls you so that I can be your sexual assault lawyer. As for the things you should not do, here are the top 5:
- Do not agree to an interview unless you have an attorney with you. I’ve said it before and I will say it again – innocent people confess all the time. Don’t let this be you.
- Lie – don’t do it. Detectives, barring a few exceptions, are pretty smart individuals and likely have a lot of information in their case before even calling you. Lying is a good way to become suspect number 1.
- They want you to take a polygraph – don’t do it unless your sex crime lawyer has investigated the polygraph examiner and knows their credentials. Like every profession, there are a lot of bad apples out there.
- Stop Guessing – “why would they make this allegation against you?” – Ahhhh one of the detective’s favorite questions. Don’t play the “guessing other people’s mindset” game. You will lose and it’s a trap.
- Forget to Call Gallian Firm immediately – whether I talk to detectives or decide against that has to be the right decision for your case. That decision needs to have your best interests at mind at all times. If there is a time to be selfish, it’s now.
Aggravated Sexual Assault – Texas Penal Code 22.021
(a) A person commits an offense:
(1) if the person:
(A) intentionally or knowingly:
(i) causes the penetration of the anus or sexual organ of another person by any means, without that person’s consent;
(ii) causes the penetration of the mouth of another person by the sexual organ of the actor, without that person’s consent; or
(iii) causes the sexual organ of another person, without that person’s consent, to contact or penetrate the mouth, anus, or sexual organ of another person, including the actor; or…full aggravated sexual assault code here.
Indecency with a Child – Texas Penal Code 21.02
(a) A person commits an offense if, with a child younger than 17 years of age, whether the child is of the same or opposite sex and regardless of whether the person knows the age of the child at the time of the offense, the person:
(1) engages in sexual contact with the child or causes the child to engage in sexual contact; or
(2) with intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person:
(A) exposes the person’s anus or any part of the person’s genitals, knowing the child is present; or
(B) causes the child to expose the child’s anus or any part of the child’s genitals. Full indecency with a child code here.
Continuous Sexual Abuse – Texas Penal Code 21.02
(b) A person commits an offense if:
(1) during a period that is 30 or more days in duration, the person commits two or more acts of sexual abuse, regardless of whether the acts of sexual abuse are committed against one or more victims; and
(2) at the time of the commission of each of the acts of sexual abuse, the actor is 17 years of age or older and the victim is a child younger than 14 years of age, regardless of whether the actor knows the age of the victim at the time of the offense. Full continuous sexual abuse code here.
CONTACT THE BEST SEXUAL ASSAULT DEFENSE LAWYER IN DALLAS
Sexual assault charges are extremely serious and are not to be taken lightely. If you have hired a defense attorney who appears to be not taking your case seriously, poor in areas of communication or informing you about your case, contact Gallian Firm today. A former prosector, Gregg Gallian knows every detail of the law to get the best result obtainable in your case. He has defended hundreds of sexual assault cases.
Thank you for visiting Gallian Firm. The information contained in this page is based upon the experience of the lawyers at Gallian Firm and should not, under any circumstances, be construed as legal advice. Every case is different and warrants its own analysis.
Using this website or submitting an appointment request does not create the attorney-client relationship. Knowing this, please use caution when deciding what information to disclose on the website form.
This website is used to inform visitors of potential situations that arise in the criminal law world. The information provided is not taken from one specific case. Rather, it is general information that could be applied in certain situations. Use of this website is conditioned upon that understanding.
If you have hired a defense attorney who doesn't seem to be helping, isn't returning calls or informing you about your case, or doesn't appear aggressive enough, contact Gallian Firm today. You will be glad you did.