Why Would I Want To Contact a Dallas Expunction Lawyer?Expunctions and nondisclosures are procedures in which crimes that are on your record are erased or sealed and a top Dallas expunction lawyer can assist you through this process. Each process has specific eligibility rules and legal stipulations that make it necessary to contact an experienced nondisclosure lawyer for assistance. Gregg Gallian specializes in helping Texans clean up their criminal records through expunctions and nondisclosures. Gallian believes that no one should be treated unfairly because of their criminal record. Let Gallian help you get an expunction or nondisclosure and the second chance at a future that you deserve.
What are Expunctions and Nondisclosures?Expunctions and nondisclosures are procedures that can potentially eliminate or hide criminal offenses from the public. An expunction means that all information, including the arrest, conviction, and circumstances surrounding your crime is erased. A nondisclosure means that the information about your crime will be sealed, making it inaccessible to the public. Government officials and law enforcement will still have access to this information, but you will no longer need to disclose it.
How Is Erasing or Sealing My Criminal Record Beneficial?
There are numerous personal and professional reasons why it is wise to have your criminal record erased or sealed. Potential Benefits include:
- Employment Opportunities
- Professional Licensing
- Leasing/Rental Eligibility
- Credit Reports
- Insurance Rates
Are All Offenses Eligible?Whether or not your charges are eligible for an expunction or nondisclosure will depend on several factors, including your offenses, case status, and the type of probation program completed. To be eligible for a non disclosure you will need to have completed deferred probation or in some cases, currently be on probation.. It is best to contact Gallian Defense Firm for clear information and direction as to how to proceed and to determine whether your charge(s) may qualify for these procedures. To be eligible for an expunction your charges need to have been dismissed or found not guilty by a jury. There are certain offenses that are ineligible for nondisclosure even in the event that your charges were deferred.
Ineligible Offenses Include:
- Injury to a Child, Disabled, Or Elderly Person
- Aggravated Kidnapping
- Any Sexual Crime That Requires Database Registry
Other ExclusionsThere are other situations that may bar your charges from being eligible for an expunction.
- Failure to complete probation.
- Applying before the waiting period has expired.
- Previous conviction of ineligible crimes.
What If My Case Was Dismissed?When the court dismisses your charges without a conviction this is known as deferred adjudication. This will stay on your record and appear in public and private background checks unless you contact an expungement attorney in Dallas like Gallian Defense Firm to help apply for an expunction or nondisclosure.
How Long Do I Have to Wait to File for An Expunction in Dallas?A charge can be erased from your record if it meets one of the following criteria:
- Your charges were dismissed.
- You were acquitted.
- Charges were not filed.
- Class C misdemeanors that resulted in deferred adjudication.
Expunction of a Felony ChargeYou are required to wait a minimum of one year, in most cases two, to apply for the expunction of Class A and B misdemeanors. Class C misdemeanors only require 180 days for eligibility. For more information on misdemeanors click here.
Expunction of a Midemeanor ChargeYou are required to wait a minimum of one year, in most cases two, to apply for the expunction of Class A and B misdemeanors. Class C misdemeanors only require 180 days for eligibility. For more information on misdemeanors click here.
Who Will Have Access to My Criminal Record After It Is Sealed?There are still some agencies that will still be able to access your records even after a nondisclosure. Some of these organizations include:
- Law Enforcement
- Texas Youth Commission
- Board of Education Certification
- Fire Department
- Safe Houses
- Department of Family and Protective Services
How Can a Criminal Defense Lawyer like Gallian Defense Firm Help Me?As anyone who has been through the experience can tell you, expunctions and nondisclosures are confusing areas of law that require the assistance of an experienced Dallas expunction lawyer. A criminal defense lawyer like Gregg Gallian has thorough knowledge and understanding of expunctions and nondisclosure orders.
What are Recommended Steps To Pursue an Expunction or Nondisclosure of my Record?
- Contact a Dallas-based expunctions and non-disclosures attorney like Gregg Gallian.
- During your free evaluation, Gregg Gallian will collect all information about your case, including your arrest, charges, probation, and the status of these charges.
- Gregg Gallian will then determine whether your case qualifies for a nondisclosure order or a complete expunction.
- With your approval, Gallian Defense Firm will then proceed to handle all of the legal aspects of your case, including filing for the appropriate measure, and taking your case before the judge. As the client testimonials will show, Gregg Gallian is the best expunctions and non-disclosure lawyer to have by your side. He will be the only advocate you will need and provide the best defense possible.